Biochemistry is the branch of science concerned with the application of chemistry to the study of biological processes at the cellular and molecular levels. Science of Biochemistry helps to understand the maintenance of health and effective treatment of diseases.
The Department of Biochemistry has been developed with the elaborate infrastructure as prescribed by the Medical Council of India. The department caters to all the facets of Biochemistry, inclusive of undergraduate medical teaching, besides being recommended as a referral investigative centre.
The broad goal of teaching undergraduate students in Biochemistry is to make them understand the scientific basis of life processes at the molecular level and to orient them towards the application of this knowledge in solving clinical problems.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the molecular machinery of living cells;
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles that govern the structures of macromolecules and their participation in molecular recognition;
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles and basic mechanisms of metabolic control and molecular signalling;
- use basic laboratory skills and apparatus to obtain reproducible data from biochemical experiments;
- implement experimental protocols, and adapt them to plan and carry out simple investigations;
- analyse, interpret, and participate in reporting to their peers on the results of their laboratory experiments;
- participate in and report orally on team work investigations of problem-based assignments;
- build on their knowledge and understanding in tackling more advanced and specialised courses, and more widely to pursue independent, self-directed and critical learning.
At the end of the course, the student should be able to
- make use of conventional techniques/ instruments to perform biochemical analysis relevant to clinical screening and diagnosis
- analyze and interpret investigative data
- demonstrate the skills of solving clinical problems and decision making.
Integration the knowledge acquired in Biochemistry shall help the students to integrate molecular events with structure and function of the human body in health and diseases.